The cross of Christ was a real, verifiable historical event—and it's that event that conclusively proves God's forgiveness and reconciliation. So whether you're having a good day or bad day, a good life or bad life, you can have confidence that God is on your side in Jesus. And that's something to revel in.
Main Text: Romans 5:1-11
- We're beginning an 8 week series in Romans 5-8, dedicated to the implications Jesus' work ought to have in our lives, now that "the night is far gone and the day is at hand" as Romans 13:12 tells us.
- Verses 1-2: Because of Jesus' work (which justifies us by faith), we now have peace and reconciliation with God, which leads us to revel in the hope of being fused with Christ forever and ever (i.e., glory).
- Verses 3-5: Even when we suffer, the presence of the Spirit helps us to revel in the reality of God's great love.
- Verses 6-8: This is all based on the historical reality of the cross, when God conclusively demonstrated His love for us, His enemies.
- Verses 9-11: Now that we're no longer enemies, we have an even greater expectation of God's love for us—so we revel even more.