The result of faith in Jesus is that we become fused with Him, permanently and inextricably united to Him. What happens to Him happens to us, including the whole of salvation. We also get His power, duty, and joy.
Main Text: Romans 6:1-11
- We're in an 8 week series in Romans 5-8, dedicated to the implications Jesus' work ought to have in our lives, now that "the night is far gone and the day is at hand" as Romans 13:12 tells us.
- In the previous chapter, Paul has explained that as sin has increased, grace has hyper-abounded. This raises the question: does that mean we should sin more? His emphatic answer is no.
- His explanation is that we've already died to sin. When we were baptized, we were so completely joined with Christ that we died, crucified with Him with respect to sin.
- And we're so completely joined with Christ that His resurrection guarantees our own. We will one day be physically and really resurrected with Him.
- So right now, we live every moment in this reality of union with Christ—we're dead to sin and we're living with God.