If you're on this page, you likely have been through our quick training and have already seen our handout on Demystifying Evangelism (click here to download).
At the end of your training, we gave you some homework:
- Pray. Evangelism always starts with prayer. Your own compassion starts with prayer. And your success in sharing the gospel starts with prayer.
- Share the gospel with someone in their heart language after getting to know them over lunch.
- Invite someone to read John with you.
- Read through John together with someone from your HUB to challenge each other to take these evangelistic steps.
Here are some starter questions for your lunches:
- Tell me about your family. How would you describe your relationship with your parents? If you had to use three words only to describe that relationship, what would they be? When were your parents most proud of you? What was it like growing up in your house? Are you close to your siblings?
- Tell me about your passions. When are you most fulfilled? When do you feel most yourself? When do you feel like you are most helpful or beneficial to the people around you? Where do you want to be in 5-10 years? What would make you feel like a success in life?
- Tell me about your relationships. Are you dating currently / how is your marriage? Have you ever been in love? Who is your best friend? Who's the best friend you've ever had? If you could build a perfect life for yourself, what kinds of relationships would you have?
- Tell me about your faith. What's your faith background? When you think of God, what do you imagine? What do you think God thinks of you? What's important to God? If someone gets sideways with God, what do you think it takes to get straightened out? When in your life did you feel closest to God? Furthest from God? What do you think about Jesus?
Here's a reading guide for John:
To help you read through John with someone, we've put together a pdf with a short guide and outline: Tips for an Evangelistic Reading of John (click here to download).
- We've learned a lot from Jeremiah Morris, another local church planter. Some of his materials were the starting point for all that you see here. You can see his materials as well as videos of him teaching a whole course on evangelism for free at thejourneytolife.org.
- The book Evangelism: How the Whole Church Speaks of Jesus by J. Mack Stiles is helpful and paints a great picture of what a church that does evangelism together might look like.
- Dallas Theological Seminary has an entire master's level course on the Gospel of John available for free via online video. Click here to see it.
- We've preached lots of sermons on the Gospel of John that you might find helpful. You can see all of them by clicking here.
- Finally, you can always contact us if you need more help!